Thursday, December 18, 2008

What Christmas is really about!

December has got to be the business month on record for most folks. I think it's the most expensive month on record, too. I mean, I try to spread my Christmas shopping out and start a couple months early so it doesn't all hit at once. But with the parties, and the extra gifts you don't anticipate, like teachers you forgot to put on your list, extra desserts you have to make, parties, etc, it all adds up. It's all in good cheer and holiday fun. But I'm feeling a little drained right now, and not just of money--energy and time too. Ok, so that I don't sound like I'm complaining, I want whoever may still be reading my blog to know that I'm so thankful for all of these holiday activities. It's exciting, and memorable. I think some of my funnest memories are of holiday traditions. The excitement of the Christmas parties and the fun of baking and decorating a house to look festive, are all so fun and I'm very sentamental about them all. The things that have become my favorite are checking the mail everyday for Christmas cards -- I love the photo cards. And I love pulling the ornaments out and hanging them on the tree-- especially the ones that bring back memories of Christmases past (the girls handprints, the ones they made, the pictures of them). One of my mom's favorite ornaments of all times is of Steven, my brother, one year at Christmas when he was probably 4. He's got the sweetest little sad face. We always talk about how cute he was then. So now I've started getting pictures ornaments for the girls every year that I can put their picture in from each Christmas. Christmas is special, and I want it to be special for my girls. But I also don't want it to be so busy and crazy that we don't take the time to really enjoy these special days. I want the true meaning of the holidays to not be crowded out by our busyness. I was the joy of giving to not be squelched by the cost of a gift, or the busyness of stores. I want my girls to see the greatest gift as Jesus and His reason for coming to this earth. I want the girls to sing the carols and realize that the joy is that Jesus entered this very dark and bleak world to give us LIFE! JOY! PEACE! and an eternal life with Jesus, with lasting joy and no sorrow! "JOY to the world the LORD has come, let earth receive her KING! Let every heart prepare Him room! . . . And wonder of His Love!"

No comments: