Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chicago Trip to the Aquarium and American Girl Place

My dad had to travel to Chicago for business and my mom, the girls, and I went with him. We rode up with my dad on what turned out to be a 10 hour drive. That was rough with the kids. But we had a great time while we were there. It was my first experience in a big city with kids. I have to say that went smoother than I had imagined. I took the double stroller and put the girls in it and walked about 5 blocks to catch the bus. The girls enjoyed being on the bus and some of the people around us seemed to be helpful with us getting the huge stroller and two kids on and off the bus. Our first day in Chicago we went to the Shedd aquarium. There were several smaller tanks of fish and then a few huge tanks with coral reefs and salt-water fish. The girls liked seeing the different fish, ("Nemo, Dorey, and Flounder" especially), but I think their favorite was the 4D Sponge Bob movie. They were hilarious with the 3D movie effects, and the bubbles floating through the audience. Also there were simulations with chair movement and something which felt like a mouse running across the back of our legs. The girls laugh and giggled the entire time. It was cute hearing their reaction and watching them lean back to avoid getting "hit" in the face with the things Sponge Bob was throwing at them.



The second day was our American Girl Place day! Wow, what a place for little girls! I think I enjoyed it as much as they did, though. They loved seeing all the American Girl dolls with their miniture sized food, accessories, and clothes. Maylen was so excited about picking out her doll that Nana and Papa were giving her for her birthday. And she was given money by Grammy too to get some things to go with her doll. As she was looking at the dolls, Nana told her to look at everything before deciding which doll she wanted. Maylen said, "But if I see everything, then I will want everything." So true, isn't it?!
Maylen picked out Kit as the doll she wanted. She also picked out Kit's birthday dress and birthday food. Since we have been home she has had a tea party with her dolls and food every day. I'm glad she is enjoying it so much.
Adeline picked out a Bitty Twin, a little girl version of an American Girl. She has named this doll, "Holly," after Maylen helped her go through a bunch of names. Holly has brunette little piggy tails like Adeline. With the money Grammy gave her, Adeline got Holly a mini backpack with toddler snacks and juice boxes, and the Bitty Baby Birthday set. Adeline has carried Holly around with her constantly and is great about sharing with her and offering her food.
While we were there we had Samantha cleaned and her hair fixed in AG salon. Samatha was my AG doll that I got about 21 years ago soon after the doll debuted by the Pleasant Company. The dolls were made in Germany by a small family company and they were catalog only at the time. Their bodies were made with a white cloth instead of the nude color cloth they are made with now. The lady at the salon when on and on about how special it was that I had an original Samantha and how beautiful and well cared for the doll was. It was neat hearing her talk about the changes the dolls have undergone since they first came out.
Part of our American Girl experience was getting to each lunch there. It was like high tea in the dining room. We were served 4 courses and the girls had their dolls in high-chairs at the table for the meal. We sang "happy birthday" to Adeline since it was just 3 days before her birthday. I think the girls really enjoyed the experience.
On the way back to Memphis, when we stopped for dinner, Maylen said "I wish Kit was with here. She would really like to see my ice cream with sprinkles." I love her imagination!







The girls had a great time on our trip. They were both exhaused by the time we got back. William asked Maylen a couple days after we had gotten home if Maylen wanted to go to Chicago again. She first said, yeah, and then stopped herself and said, "no, that car ride is just so long."

2 comments:

Becky Lollar said...

How precious!! I can't wait to show Ally these pictures!! :)

Emilee Odette Garrett said...

What an amazing time you had with your sweet girls!